FOOD & BEVERAGE
20 week rotation
The functions of the food and beverage department in a hotel can be very varied and can include experience in the bar, restaurant and function rooms. It’s a department which has plenty career progression and opportunities to take on more responsibility.
You’ll learn how a restaurant or bar runs and experience the importance of food and drink to the guest experience. You’ll also develop your organisational and leadership skills along with your communication skills. You’ll also gain an understanding of the importance of food safety and standards.
Food and Beverage is an ever-evolving department constantly looking for new trends in guest requirement – from breakfast to night caps.
Future Career Opportunities In This Department
If the food and drink rotation give you an appetite for a future in this department you could be considering:
- Waiter – serves guests food and drink and is responsible for guest satisfaction
- Restaurant Manager – takes bookings, manages staff including creation of work rotas and is responsible for all areas of the front of house restaurant
- Bartender – mixes and serves drinks to guests or for waiting staff to take to guests
- Cocktail waiter – suggests drinks, advises on ingredients, mixes cocktail and develops new cocktails
- Sommelier – highly knowledgeable about the whole drinks offering and expert in wines
With further experience and qualifications, you may also be able to move in to the events, sales, HR, marketing or accounts departments and eventually to a hotel manager role.